Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Surprise....School's Out




This morning, Scott got a call about 6:18am. The roads were bad, and he could go to work at 10:00 instead of 8:00. I turned on the news and learned that Arlington Schools were closed for the day! Scott and I went back to bed, and let the kids discover the news for themselves. And they did!

We heard the boys get their breakfast and turn on the news to discover they didn't have school. They looked outside and couldn't wait to get dressed. It had snowed/sleeted/iced last night and they played and played outside. I took our kids (and all the kids on the street) up to the elementary school. You see, it has a hill that slides right down into a busy street. But, it wasn't busy this morning, and I was the look-out for cars. They would slide down on laminated posters I had saved for years, a recycling bin, or a toy box lid. We had a great time. The kids played off and on all day outside.

I managed to sneak in a trip to the library where Quinn and Tanner did a bit of school work, Connor read, and Allison found a bazillion books she wanted to check out. I look forward to these out-of-the-ordinary days all year long!


3 comments:

Melissa said...

Ah, the good old days of any ice or 1/16 of an inch of snow closing school. The first time it snowed here (8 inches) Josh thought for sure school would be closed...was a sad realization that it will never be closed. Now all they hope for it that it stays above 20 so they can have outside recess. They haven't had outside recess yet this week ;)

Jami said...

Wasn't it great. We love snow days too.

The Esquivel Family said...

Sounds like you guys had a great time. I am sure when I get to say home with my kids that we will treasure special days like that too.